I had only met him last year, but things changed so quickly
I gave him his first poison.
Nate is moving in. he’s new to the neighborhood. Doug walks up to his house to welcome this kid. They go to the same church but are mostly acquaintances
D: What’s up dude?
Nate: Nothing
D: so… what do you do for fun?
Nate: watch movies, play video games…nothing really. Normal stuff
D: that’s cool, you should def hang out with us some time
Nate: sounds cool… I mean what exclty do you do for fun?
D: Chill, play video games…smoke. Normal shit
Nate: Smoke? What do you mean? Like cigarettes?
D: Haha no cigarettes are gross. I mean that good shit, from the earth, that gudda that weed!
Nate: smoke weed? You smoke weed?
D: Everyone does.
Nate: Really?
D: yup…. You know what the number one cash crop of Notheast farmers is? Weed.
Nate: Nah. really
D: Yup. So you down to chill sometime?
Nate: Yeah, I guess, but I don’t know if I can do that.
D: it’s easy. Like if your smoking a joint (puts hands up to mouth for imaginary joint) then you in hale. Whoooo. Then exhale, like a cigarette except you hold it in for a while.
Nate: No I meant like it’s bad.
D: Oh… well you’ll get used to it
Nate: yeah…
END SCENE
D: Yo what up?!
Nate: Hey
D: I’m sure you know Matt and Frank
Matt: hey
Frank: hey
Nate: what’s up.
D: Come have a seat
Nate: it’s cool, I’ll stand
D: Nah, sit. You wanna smoke?!
Nate: Umm I’ll just watch
D: Whatever. You don’t have to rush into things like this, take your time. I get this feeling that we’re going to be real good friends.
Nate: yeah
SMOKING
Nate: hey D I think I’m going to do it.
D: Do what?
N: Smoke
D: What! You want to smoke. Why?
Nate: I just figured we’re going to hang out a lot why not start. I wanted to try it anyway and I think I’m ready now
D: I don’t know….
Nate: What do you mean? I thought you wanted me to.
D: I guess I do but I want you to know you just don’t smoke once. It’sa lifestyle. That’s why they call people potheads. Pots all that’s going on in their head. I’m not forcing forcing you to do this right?
Nate: No! Of course not.
D: Remember itsa lifestyle kid. You don’t know what your getting yourself into. You’re a good kid stay that way.
N: No not me kid. I can not smoke or smoke when I want to.
D: Why won’t it happen to you? What makes you think you can withstand what so many have not before?
N: Because I’m me, I’m Nate and not anyone else. I’, so different you wouldn’t understand even if I told you. I’m Nate the great!
D: You’re so wrong! How are you going to tell me, Mr Smoker that it’s not so?”
N: Just trust me I know myself. Wait… maybe I shouldn’t smoke…
D: No! Dude you gotta do it, you said you would! Come on I’m not going to smoke by myself.
N: Alright
D: Put your mouth right there and suck. I’ll light it
Lights bong
N: Waah. Cough What is this shit!
D: It’s weed. Don’t worry its happens to everyone the first time. Here have some water its okay
Smoke more then it takes effect
N: I think I’m high. It feels weird. Like I feel really light.
D: Calm, cool, collected?
N: Yeah… I feel really good. Wooooh
Montage, scenes of smoking and laughing
Nate is smoking in front of D on a weekday after work
D: Nate you might just maybe want to slow down, itsa weekday
N: Shut the fuck up! Kid you smoke all the time!
D: Do I really? No I never smoke on the weekday you really forced it.
N: Yo fuck you! I need this shit do you know how stressful my life is?
D: you shoudn’t need it man
montage
D: Nate pass it!
N: yo chill the fuck out! Can I just smoke! You’re always on my fucking shit! Just fucking leave me alone! Stupid ass faggot bitch
D: Yo make that word up all by yourself? Congrats! (claps)
N: Fuck you.
D: All I’m saying is you should pass it. don’t get so worked up, why do you always flip out now a days?
N: Cause you always tell me that shit. All the time. It’s not just this time! You’re always telling me what to do! You’re not my father!
D: I tell you these thing because I’m just trying to help…
N: I tell you these things (mock) well stop cause me off you condescending bitch!
D: What are you….
F: SHUT THE FUCK UP! Can we just smoke! Every single time we smoke and you two are in the same room you too fight. WTF we’re supposed to be potheads and chill and shit and you guys are always fucking fighting.
The two look at eachother
END SCENE
D: Nate’s such a dickhead. He’s always flipping out. He really needs to relax. I think the weed and his antidepressants are making him flip out.
F: Whatever. Nate’s, Nate. He won’t change. You have to accept him for who he is.
D: He’s still a dickhead.
END SCENE
Fight scene! The two are smoking, Frank and Matt are there
D: You’re so fucking selfish all you think the world revolves around you.
N: Are you fucking serious?!
D: No I’m kidding
N: Say that again, say the word revolves around me again!
D: you mean The world doesn’t revolve around you? It doesn’t.
N: AAAA! LET’S GO RIGHT
Fight
END SCENE
Voice over scene? Acted?
N: I just called to say I’m sorry.
D: Yeah me too. (in head : this fucking kid is driving me nuts)
N: Can I have some $?
D: For what?
N: A blunt.
D: Nah
N: Kid I always help you out! Why you gotta do that to me?
D: Aight this time but don’t ask me again.
END SCENE
N: Can I have some $?
D: What for?
N: A dim.
D: Nah kid chill, I told you not to ask me again.
N: Why not?
D: A, because I told you not to ask me again. B, because it’s a yes or no question and I said no.
N: WTF I asked you for a a measly 10 dollars! Why you gotta do that to me?
D: You can surivive without smoking for one day. Don’t spend $ that you don’t have.
N: Yo fuck you! You really don’t understand, I thought you were my friend!
D: I can’t gi- wow he hung up.
END SCENE
N: Yo D let me get some $.
D: No, I told you not to ask me again. Geta job!
N: I have been.
D: You applied to one place.
N: you know me, I can’t just work anywhere, its not my style.
D: Whatever I’m still not giving you $.
N: I’ll pay you back!
D: Nah kid.
N: you’re mad stingy kid!
D: Chachyeah!
END SCENE
N: D
D: No.
N: I’m not asking for $. Meet me. I gotta tell you something.\
D: Aight
He walks out side they meet in front of his house
N: Look.
D: What is that?
N: What does it look like?
D: is it sugar? That better not be what I think it is, it better be sugar
N: well its not sugar
D: WTF! Are you serious!
N: it’s just coke, its not like its Heroine. It makes me feel good.
D: Whatever, you’re fucking ridiculous. Don’t talk to me anymore
D starts to walk away
N: What! Your going to leave me here? Alone! … (to himself) alone again
D: You did this to yourself! What happened to you kid?
N: Yeah! Well fuck you!
D flips Nate off
N: Fuck… he’s really gone… Fuck him…
Snorts a line
3 comments:
I like the story line and how the two characters kind of change places. I think we need to know more about Nate and why he makes the decision to smoke. Was there some external factor? Was he having trouble in some other area in his life? Some other stress. There needs to be another character that relates with nate outside of his relationship with D.
I like the concept you've got going. I agree that there needs to be more in establishing the relationship between Nate and Doug. I think there is some work to be done on the motivation factor for both Nate and Doug. What causes/motivates Nate to smoke? What motivates Doug to resent him for doing so after he initially encouraged him? These motivations can be brought out subtly through action rather than dialogue. Sometimes, in strong character pieces like this one, actions do speak louder than words. That's the great thing about film/video, it's a visual way to tell a story, so when developing your characters and their relationship, don't necessarily think you have to rely on building the dialogue to show that. Sometimes less is more. What's the status of the project currently? I'd really like to talk to you about it more, I'm really interested.
Post a Comment